Deverell Smith are working within an extremely exciting and ambitious Build to Rent development and management company, who are seeking to deliver the highest levels of H&S for colleagues and customers across London and SE England.
A priority for the business is to have H&S at the heart of everything they do, delivered through their Live Safe programme which is driving induvial and corporate behaviours and responsibilities, achieving full regulatory and statutory compliance and shaping industry best practice.
This newly formed role will operate across all levels within the business, influencing board members, directors and employees to achieve the highest standards of health and safety operations at every owned, managed or associated site. The preferred candidate will have experience in Health and Safety within built environments, construction and land.
A significant part of the role will address fire safety and ensure the business is responding to the outcomes of the Grenfell Enquiry and emerging guidance from central government.
The post holder will have drive and passion and will take personal ownership for ensuring policies and procedures are appropriate, insightful and helpful and that these are put into practice.
As part of a highly motivated, talented team, the post holder will deliver industry leading KPI performance and help shape the culture.
- Ownership of the Live Safe programme, developing information/training/delivering events that keep H&S at the heat of what we do
- Ensure that polices and procedures remain relevant and accessible and used to protect the business and customers and reduce the opportunities for harm
- To be involved and provide advice on site/scheme specific health & safety matters, including incident & accident management
- Deliver an audit programme to OHS 18001/OHS 45001 including an analysis of all Health & Safety systems
- Servicing of the H&S Committee, advising departmental heads and delivery of company Health & Safety statistics to the board
- Oversight and reduction strategy on accidents / incidents on portfolios / offices.
- Claims management (linked to above)
- Management of SHE/CDM consultants
- Member of the team mobilising the new CAFM and H&S processes and reporting currently being mapped
- Creation and management of specific documentation and procedures to improve and streamline Health & Safety management on owned/managed sites.
- Updating the intranet/website with relevant, up to date information, supporting the Live Safe programme
- Involvement in the ongoing contractor verification programme
- Review / audit of approved contractors' activities - put in place a random audit programme of managed and development sites work activities.
- Advice on operational matters - new sites / existing projects etc.
- Positive reporting - best improvement / improver (person) awards management. Training management - oversight of service providers of company H&S training / delivery of company policy / procedural training sessions. Statutory Authority & Enforcement officer liaison representing should it be so required.
Qualications, skills and experience:
- NEBOSH Diploma
- Environmental qualifications - NEBOSH or degree (CIEH)
- Other relevant qualifications
- CPD record of continuous learning in relevant areas
- Client Focus - willingness to understand and meet the needs of both internal and external clients in order to build and maintain positive relationships.
- Team Working - works co-operatively with others, quickly builds the trust of others builds rapport and relationships.
- Technical Expertise - has the skills, knowledge and experience required to perform their role
- Communication and Influence - communicates effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Personal Management - prioritises tasks effectively in order to deliver to agreed deadlines, keeping others informed and manage your own time effectively, including timekeeping.
- Individual responsibility - does what is needed to get others to buy into Live Safe and deliver their own responsibilities
- Commitment to Excellence - uses their initiative, adapts positively to change and is proactive in finding solutions to issues. Focuses on delivering quality work at all times.
- 10 years + in senior Health & Safety role with;
- Construction Management experience - desirable
- Ability to produce accurate and engaging presentations and documents
- Ability to interpret and manipulate data in a logical manner
- Excellent proof reading and attention to detail
- Must have experience of working as part of a team.
- Organisation and flexibility are important skills for this role along with the ability to multi-task, prioritise and meet deadlines.
For more information please apply and Nick Hammond will be in touch.