Head of Legal / Legal Director: In House Property Development
- An established multinational Property Developer, based in the heart of the City of London, is looking to fill its newly created Head of Legal position, and, under their guidance, expand its existing legal team.
- The role would suit a commercial property lawyer, qualified in England and Wales and c.5 years PQE.
- This high profile developer is undertaking some iconic residential developments in Central London, its profile is continually on the rise in the UK market and there is plenty more in the project pipeline. They have a relaxed, friendly office culture and the role is generously remunerated.
- Active in development, investment and construction, this role offers the successful candidate an opportunity to engage in a wide range of legal focuses, promising variety and the chance to broaden their skill set.
- The Head of Legal will be responsible for liaising with external legal support to properly advise on issues beyond development/construction matters. This role is mainly responsible for helping the company to minimize the risks in its business undertakings in the UK. Ideally, candidates will possess past experience in the three disciplines outlined above, with particular emphasis placed on familiarity with the legal mechanisms underpinning Property Development.
- A significant part of this role will be to ensure that this legal framework is provided to the company in a cost effective manner.
The successful candidate will be reporting directly to the CEO, and work alongside the existing legal counsel to ensure the minimization of risk in all of the company's UK undertakings. Their remit will encompass a broad range of responsibilities, including, but not limited to:
- The drafting and negotiation of commercial and construction agreements;
- Offering guidance on sector issues such as Property finance, lease agreements and dispute resolution;
- Implementing a workable infrastructure to ensure conformity with compliance regulations;
- Keeping the business apprised of relevant legislative and policy developments and ensuring conformity with these;
- Appointment and management of external counsel, where applicable;
- Offering counsel to key stakeholders, reconciling obligations as Head of Legal with the practicalities of serving as a business adviser;
- Mentoring more junior members of the team.
More specifically, day-to-day duties may include the following:
- Advising on property Acquisitions.
- Advising the business on a wide variety of legal and commercial issues.
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial contracts.
- Reviewing and negotiating construction contracts.
- Drafting non-contentious and contentious legal letters.
- Advising on planning legal issues.
- Advising on property financing contracts.
- Advising on corporate legal structure.
- Drafting and advising on various commercial and residential leases.
- Advising on dispute resolution including litigation.
- Advising on ad-hoc legal issues raised by different departments within the company.
- Taking the lead on issues of legal compliance.
- Keep management and abreast of all new laws and regulations that may have implications to the company.
- Specify internal governance policies and regularly monitor legal compliance.
The Successful Applicant
The ideal candidate is likely to
- Be a UK qualified lawyer with contentious/non-contentious construction expertise,
- A minimum of 5 years PQE working within property law, ideally with proven in-house experience.
- 5+ years PQE.
- Proven experience as legal counsel within a property developer or investor in the UK.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of property law.
- Full comprehension of the workings of and external pressures placed upon a corporation.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Outstanding communication skills within a multilingual environment.
Dependent on experience: £75,000 - 90,000 + with bonus, pension and private medical/dental insurance.