Interim Senior Development Manager wanted for Local Authority in London!
This role would suit a cradle to grave Development Manager or a Senior Project Manager with front end expertise.
The primary purpose of this post is to lead on the management and implementation of one or more complex regeneration projects ensuring innovation, best practice and best value in commissioning and delivery, the post holder will deputise for the Regeneration Team Leader and provide specialist professional support and advice to Development Managers across the Regeneration & Development Group.
Example outcomes or objectives that this role will deliver:
- The post holders key objectives are to deliver capital receipts, new housing, schools and community facilities and to secure inward investment in existing housing to provide decent homes.
- To ensure opportunities are maximised to deliver on the 'Sustainable Communities' agenda to meet growing community needs and improve the educational attainment and employment opportunities of local people.
- The post holder will be expected to draft corporate policy papers for consideration by Project Boards and will be required to oversee policy and strategy work-streams.
- To develop options for the physical development and regeneration of Council sites including large scale new-build housing and mixed use developments incorporating environmental and community safety improvements.
- To liaise with other Council departments to ensure wider corporate objectives are incorporated into option appraisals and development briefs and to develop innovative ways of delivering on the 'Sustainable Communities' and Place Shaping agendas.To procure regeneration projects, ensuring the highest standards of design, innovation, sustainability and construction best practice are achieved.
- To supervise consultation with residents on major estate regeneration schemes, school communities and other groups as appropriate in liaison with the consultation and tenant participation teams.
- To performance manage, monitor, and report on progress toward project milestones and physical and financial targets to Senior Managers and elected members.
People Management Responsibilities:
- This postholder has a matrix management responsibility to oversee and coordinate the work of project teams which can include development managers, consultation staff, external consultants, agencies and developers ensuring compliance with development agreements and agreed development plans.
- Some Senior Development Managers will have line management responsibility for one or two team members: this could include Development Managers, Consultation and Engagement Officers, Decant Officers and/or Programme Officers.
- To work in conjunction with the Council's Property Service's Team and external valuation and marketing/sales advisers to maximise the physical and financial benefits accruing to the Council from redevelopment of land and assets.
- To liaise with the Borough's Planning and Legal services on matters of tenancy, planning and development legislation and land law. To ensure that all proposals, and all appointments, comply with national and EU statutory and legislative requirements, and the Council's Standing Orders, Financial Regulations and other relevant procedures.
- Ensure effective liaison with Residents, Members, Schools and community groups, Housing Management, Needs and Allocations, Housing Repairs, Home Ownership, Schools Property and Contracts, Community and Third sector team, Borough Valuers, Borough Solicitor and internal and external regeneration and funding agencies and partners.
- Generally, to develop and maintain ongoing partnerships and take a flexible approach to meeting outcomes and empowering colleagues
- Post holders are required to work flexibly from Council offices, site and consultants offices as necessary. They will be expected to attend evening and weekend meetings as required and to work directly with members, residents and the public in consultation meetings and workshop and exhibition events. They will need to manage conflicting priorities and work to tight deadlines
- The post holders will be required to visit dirty and noisy building sites and to wear personal protective equipment from time to time, although the job is predominantly office based, with regular visits to estates, schools and children's centres, and meetings in other offices
Technical Knowledge and Experience:
- A relevant degree in construction, development or regeneration, or equivalent significant experience and evidence of continuous professional development (at least 5 years)
- Thorough knowledge of town planning practice, and development and land acquisition practice and housing development standards
- Project management skills for technically complex projects involving and closely impacting upon residents and other stakeholders.
- Strong negotiation skills applicable at various stages of a project
- Procurement skills to deliver infrastructure and refurbishment projects and will need knowledge of develop and new build.
- Organisation and Management skills to lead a multi-disciplinary team of employees and independent contractors/consultants on technically complex projects
- An understanding how regeneration initiatives can be used to address deprivation, access to services, issues around community safety and cohesion
This is an immediate start so don't wait, get in contact today!